Perfect Turkey & Cranberry Salsa
This will be the most succulent roast turkey you’ll ever have! Enjoy it with our Château Barrail du Blanc Grand Cru St-Émilion 2016.
For the Turkey
- 1 whole turkey
- Plenty of salt and sugar
- Bay leaves
- 1 lemon or orange
- Plenty of carrots, onions and celery
1) Place the turkey in a large pan or plastic container, measure how much cold water is required to immerse the bird.
2) Per 4 litres of water – add 200g salt, 100g sugar, 3 bay leaves, handful of peppercorns, piece of lemon zest or orange.
3) Bring half of the water to the boil with the other ingredients and stir over heat until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Add ice (1kg = 1 litre) or cold water to make up to your measured volume.
1) Pre heat oven to 180C. Place bird breast down on a bed of chopped carrots, onions and celery.
2) Roast for the 30mins, then turn the tray through 45 degrees, repeat this operation after another 30 mins and then once more.
3) After this turn the bird breast side up and cook until golden – about 1 more hour for a 6kg bird. When taking out of the oven aim for an internal temperature 55-60c at the deepest part of the breast – which will rise as you rest for 30mins.
For the Cranberry Salsa
- 200g fresh cranberries
- 2tbs caster sugar
- 2 spring onions
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 1 orange
- 1/2 fresh red chilli
- Small bunch coriander
1) Grated zest and juice of 1/2 orange.
2) Finely chop the cranberries – by hand or on pulse mode in your food processor. Peel, core and cut the apple into fine dice.
3) Chop the spring onions, red chilli, coriander and add with the remaining ingredients plus a little salt and pepper to taste. Best left to macerate overnight to allow the flavours to build.