We had always wanted to offer ‘all inclusive’ storage. However, significantly more costs are incurred for certain elements, and not all of the customers who store with us are requesting such actions. We have had to apply a minimal charge for some of the elements that do cost more. We are doing this instead of further increasing the storage rates to absorb these costs. These charges are to cover costs, rather than to make profit.
Transfers to other bonds (up to 10 cases) - £12.50 inc VAT. Please ask us for a quotation for larger quantities.
Photographs (new) - £18 inc VAT per photo (these will be C&B watermarked)
Export paperwork - £30 inc VAT per shipment (This applies when we are releasing wine to your own forwarder, and does not affect the charges for those shipping through C&B)
Purchase price data if transferring to another bond - £6.00 inc VAT per document (Example: you are transferring wine elsewhere and the receiving merchant will not accept the bonded values on your statement of reserves, and you do not have your invoice to hand. If there are multiple wines bought at different times, multiple charges will apply. This is due to the resource of looking up the original purchases.)
Transfer of ownership charge - £9.00 inc VAT per request.
Collection from another merchant or from a home address - we will charge a collection fee of £27.62 inc VAT for up to 10 cases. Price on application for over 10 cases.
Please note that we still do not charge for receiving wines from elsewhere, and deliveries to your account address remain free of charge.
Tiers for 2023-2024
We charge a fee per unit of wine you store with us. One unit is equal to a case of 6 standard 75cl bottles. Our fees are based on a tiered system; the more you store, the less you pay per unit. The table below explains each tier in detail. Your tier will not only include wines that you physically store with us but also those that you have bought en primeur and are still abroad, making it easier to qualify for a lower charging tier.
• If you have only 3 bottles of a particular wine in store, you will be charged for one unit or 6 x 75cl equivalent. Likewise if you have 9 bottles in store you will be charged for two units.
• Larger format bottles (magnums, double-magnums, etc.) are broken down into bottle equivalents and charged as above.
• A case of 12 (75cl standard) bottles equals 2 units.
• Wine storage is billed annually in arrears or when the wine is withdrawn.
• Storage year: 1st June to 31st May. We review our storage charges at the end of each storage year.
• The wine is insured to full replacement value.
• We will store mixed cases under certain circumstances. Mixed cases must be authorised by us in advance. Please contact us for further information.
• We cannot be held responsible for the quality of wines which have not been bought from Corney & Barrow, due to their unknown provenance.
En Primeur Purchases
Corney & Barrow wines bought en primeur will automatically be delivered to your reserve, in bond.
We will email you a monthly ‘En Primeur Arrival Report’, showing wines received into your reserve during the past month. You can choose to leave the wine with us or have it delivered. Your most recent En-Primeur arrivals will also be identified on our online reserves platform.
Your Reserves Online
You have 24hr access to your reserves via our online reserves platform. You can request deliveries, ask for a broking valuation, see recent arrivals from en-primeur, and access information on your wines such as Liv-ex valuations and producer profiles. You can also export your reserve in spreadsheet or PDF format.
Wine From Other Merchants
Our storage rates are designed to help you consolidate your cellars in one location, eliminating any charges for receiving cases bought elsewhere. We can also ship wines internationally (subject to local laws) that you have bought from other sources.
All transfers/deliveries must be authorised by us in advance to ensure we can process them efficiently for you. We will provide you/your merchant with a reference with which to book in the delivery of your wines. In order to generate this for you, we’ll need full details of the wines and case values. Please contact [email protected] for further details.
Whilst we endeavour to correctly log your wines from other merchants in your reserves, from time to time you may encounter the odd query with values or a description. It is your responsibility to raise potential discrepancies with us; if you should have any queries please contact your salesperson or alert us using the ‘action’ then ‘report an issue’ option available on our online reserves platform. If the issue is around the bonded value of a wine, we may need to see a copy of the invoice.
We require proof of purchase price (invoice) for all wines from other merchants. Wines cannot be added to your reserves without this.
Delivery From Reserve
This can be arranged at any time, following a written request by email, letter or through our online reserves platform. Delivery from reserves to your home address is free of charge if you live on mainland UK. Deliveries to multiple and non-mainland UK addresses will be charged at the prevailing rate. Please also note the following:
1. We follow a strict policy of due diligence and, in order to protect your reserves from unauthorised or fraudulent delivery instructions, we are therefore unable to accept instructions for the movement of reserves over the telephone.
2. We will also seek to reconfirm with you directly any online withdrawal instruction that requires reserves to be delivered to an address other than the home address that is currently held on our database.
3. For accounts held in joint names we will accept, rely and act upon instructions given by any one of the customers named on that account unless previously instructed to the contrary in writing by the joint account holders.
4. To minimise the risk of breakages, withdrawals will only be permitted as full cases.
5. Our export team can arrange for international delivery of your reserves; please email [email protected] for more information.
6. Free delivery from reserve to UK addresses applies to standard deliveries of up to 10 cases*. If a larger delivery is required, charges may apply. *A case is anything from 1 to 12 standard 75cl bottles, or their equivalents in other volumes, up to a maximum of 9 litres of wine.
If these arrangements seem inconvenient, we hope that you appreciate that they are in your best interests.
Collections of Wines
We can arrange collection of our customers’ wines for storage in their Corney & Barrow reserves, from another UK bonded warehouse or from a mainland UK residential address. There is a charge starting from £27.98 ex-VAT for up to 10 cases*. Please contact us for collections of more than 10 cases. *A case is anything from 1 to 12 standard 75cl bottles, or their equivalents in other volumes, up to a maximum of 9 litres of wine. We do not accept mixed cases: cases must contain the same wine, from the same vintage. These charges are for the London area(outside London the charges will be higher).
Your wine is safe with us
Your wines are covered by our 'All Risks' policy (this also covers wines stored in the Corney & Barrow cellars in Ayr) and supplemented by our promise to ensure that should your wines be lost or damaged in our care, you will be fully compensated. In the first instance we will try to source a replacement case from a reputable source, but if none is found, we will compensate you with a sum equivalent to the current market value of your wine.
Naturally, we cannot guarantee the provenance or condition of wines you have purchased from other merchants. Wines sent in from other merchants will be landed in such a way that they are clearly identified as not purchased through C&B, and therefore not part of C&B’s guaranteed provenance. In the eventuality of a wine purchased from another merchant being counterfeit, we would not entertain a claim for compensation.
Our customers’ reserves are held in a state of the art, purpose-built facility in Hoddesdon, operated on our behalf by Great Bear Logistics, with whom we have worked for a number of years. Our wines here and in Ayr are physically stored in an area of the warehouse separate to our own wines. We also maintain detailed and accurate records of all wines owned by our customers and this information is viewable on our website. This is in line with our published, UK Terms & Conditions (Clause 7.7 refers). Clause 4 of those Terms & Conditions also makes it clear that you have absolute ownership of your reserves once you have paid for them in full, whether or not those reserves are held under bond or duty paid. In these circumstances, your private reserves can never be treated as belonging to Corney & Barrow.
Your peace of mind is of the utmost importance to us.
Read our Storage Terms and Conditions.