Cheesy gougères with a delicate cauliflower filling pair perfectly with our Corney & Barrow Sparkling Blanc de Blancs Methode Traditionnelle NV. What a way to get the event started!
150g Plain Flour
4 Large Eggs
140g Gruyere finely grated
1 Tsp Nutmeg
1 Tsp English Mustard Powder
Salt & Pepper
Cauliflower Puree Ingredients:
1 Cauliflower – white part only
50g Parmesan – finely grated
Salt & Ground White Pepper to taste
1. Put the water on heat, add butter and stir until melted, add a pinch of salt
2. Take off heat, add all the flour (sifted) and stir vigorously to make a thick
paste. Cook on a low heat for 2 mins, until a thin layer sticks to the bottom
of the pan.
3. Cool a little and whisk in eggs on at a time.
4. Add cheese, mustard powder and nutmeg and check seasoning
5. Heat oven to 200c & line a tray with baking parchment
6. Spoon or pipe heaped teaspoonfuls of the mixture – spaced about 2cm apart.
(You can flatten any points with a wet finger)
7. Bake for 20 mins (check after 15) until risen, golden. Remove from oven poke
a hole in the side and return to 160c oven to dry out and crispen.
Cauliflower Puree Recipe:
1. Boil cauliflower fleurets in salted water until tender.
2. Drain well, return to pan with butter, cook over low heat – stirring. Add
parmesan, salt and pepper.
3. Puree in blender or food processor until smooth.
1. Add warm cauliflower mixture to piping bag with nozzle
2. Pipe through hole in the side of the gougères
3. Garnish with herbs of your choice – a little chopped celery leaf works well.